Search
Close this search box.

The Seay House

 Spartanburg, SC

The-Seay-House

The Seay House

106 Darby Rd, Spartanburg, SC, USA

James Seay, born in Virginia in 1750 and a Revolutionary War soldier, migrated to South Carolina. The first land transaction bearing his name was in 1784 when he received a grant of 200 acres near Fairforest Creek. Jammie Seay died in 1843, aged 93, and was buried at St. Timothy’s Chapel in what is now the Arkwright Community. Although court records are sketchy, a newspaper obituary suggests that at one time Jammie Seay owned as much as 500 acres of land south and west of the Spartanburg Courthouse. In his old age, there is the possibility that he divided the tract among his children and lived with his son, Kinsman, in the Seay House. Although the home place was certainly modest, Kinsman Seay was respected in the village and a founder of Central Methodist Church. As late as the 1890’s Kinsman’s unmarried daughters still lived in the house and maintained the family ties to Central Methodist Church. The earliest individual who can be directly tied to the house is not James (Jammie) Seay, but rather Kinsman Seay, the eldest son of Jammie Seay. Kinsman was born on September 17, 1784, and died on February 1, 1883. There is documentation that indicates Kinsman and his descendants were associated with this house until about 1969.

⇩ Get Directions: